Sunday, November 26, 2023

My Cheerleaders

In Relief Society today, we discussed Sister Tunis’s talk from this last conference, Seeing God’s Family Through the Overview Lens. During this discussion, there was a conversation about the people that lift us up, help us through hard times, and generally have our backs. I sat quietly thinking if the people who have supported me through the years. As each person that contributed to the conversation talked about that one person, all I could think was that there are different people during different seasons of life. 

When my mom struggled with mental illness, my dad was there for me. He wasn’t perfect, but he was there for me the best way he knew how especially after she moved out. 

My Young Women’s leaders encouraged me to be my best. They helped me make tough decisions and told me I was a good person even when I didn’t think so. 

My former mother-in-law is a cheerleader to all. I don’t think she has met anyone she doesn’t like. When I was struggling to feel my worth, she would show it to me. I remember one Sunday arguing with my then-husband about whether I was a good driver (a stupid fight) on the way to her house for dinner. (He had told me I was a bad driver because my license had expired. It had expired because we couldn’t afford fir me to renew it.) As I helped make dinner, she asked me why I seemed upset. After explaining the fight, she told me she would fix it and made the plan to take me to the DMV to renew my license. She made no judgment, just helped me feel like my needs mattered. I could go in and on about the many things she has done to heal the wounds she didn’t even know were there just by being her and seeing the best in me. 

My best friend was there for me when I needed her the most. I could stop by her house just to cry without notice. When I struggled with my testimony, she met me where I was and helped me see how I could do better when I needed it. When I was pushing everyone away, she pulled me in closer. I will forever be thankful for her love and support during the good and bad times. 

There are many others. I have been truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life. I know my Heavenly Father sent them to me when I needed the most. I pray that I will one day be able to be this person for someone else. 

No comments: