Monday, April 20, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

Today, when I was picking up Haley, my van decided it didn't want to start. This seems to be a chronic problem with my poor, old van. I was so embarassed!

Haley's teacher tried to help me jump it, but that didn't seem to work. She had somewhere she needed to go, but she did get out a blanket for the kids to sit on and some snacks for the kids while I waited for what I thought would have to be a ride home. I called my good friend Melissa, and waited for her to come rescue me.

Melissa showed up, and we started the process of trying to jump start it again (I would like to point out here that the battery is only a few months old). While we were trying to get this figured out, a man who was in the area working on lawns stopped and came over to look at my van. He tried to start it, and said that probably the conection was just loose. He went to his truck and got some pliers and then tightened the nuts to the battery. Then he tried again to start it. It started right up! Yay!

He gave Melissa, her mom, and me a flier for his business. I am giving him some free advertisement for his help! (Double click on it to see a larger view.)

6 comments:

Jami said...

Matt's truck had that same problem! He kept a pair of pliers in the console for cases such as that. Not fun! Sounds like you've had an adventurous day!

Mistaken said...

He was nice. That was nice of you to advertise for him. He is offering a very good price for aeration btw, for anyone interested.

Tera said...

My children think that superhero's come dressed in costumes. I've learned the real superhero's, the one's I come across, are normal, everday people. I'm glad he was there to help you.

Ann Marie said...

That's awesome! It's nice to be reminded that there are still great people out there. Gosh, if we hadn't had the aeration fundraiser in our ward I would totally call this guy up. Great price! And I always like supporting nice people that do good things! I'll spread the word! I'm glad that the day turned out okay for you. That's frustrating when your car doesn't start! Love ya!

taradon said...

It's so wonderful that there are people out there who take time out of their day to help just because they can... that includes Melissa, too for driving out to help.

Druciana said...

I am glad I have Melissa to lean on when I need her. I don't know what I would do without her!