Saturday, August 5, 2023

Great Sand Dunes National Park

For the past few years, Chad and I have taken have taken trips just the two of us. In 2021, we went to Mesa Verde National Park while Sean and Noel were at their dad’s house, and we paid Eric to take care of the dogs and taxi Noel to and from band camp. Last year, we went to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore (my favorite so far) as Sean stayed home with the dogs and Noel was with her dad again. This year, we headed down to The Great Sand Dunes leaving Sean with the dogs while Noel was gone again. I like that we are getting to know each other without the kids since they have been always been a factor in our relationship and are turning into adults before our eyes. 

We have been talking about seeing the sand dunes for a couple of years, and we finally were able to book a one night camping trip this year. We were lucky to get the spot because they fill up fast. We actually had to book it six months in advance. 


When we got there, we set up our campsite and relaxed for a bit. There was a moment when Chad was exploring before other people got there that there was such peace that I was able to just let the stillness wash over me as the only sounds around me were the squeaks of the chipmunks. I needed that so bad and didn’t even realize it until I was there. When Chad got back, I took a few pictures before we set on our way to the dunes. 



The dunes were bigger than I had imagined. The highest one was over 600 feet according to the information in the visitor center. We climbed the smallest one, and it was exhausting and amazing all at once. The sand was the finest sand I have ever seen which meant we sunk a bit with each step making each step harder than a typical hike. Once we reached the top, we sat down and let the wind wash over us. I took joy in seeing the footsteps of others blow away quickly. We stayed there talking and taking pictures until the wind gusts got a bit too strong then hiked back down. At this point, we realized that there wasn’t much more to do. 






Later that night, we went to the amphitheater where Ranger Patrick did a show about the stars and dunes on other planets. I didn’t know there were dunes elsewhere, but the pictures from NASA were real. At the end, the ranger turned off all lights and showed us constellations. It was so dark that we could see more than I have ever remember seeing. I think it was the first time I saw the Milky Way. I was also able to take the clearest night sky picture I have been able to take with my phone. This presentation made the entire trip worth it. 


No comments: