Monday, August 28, 2023

My Mentors

I like to surround myself with people who help me be a better person. There are a few people that I admire and want to emulate in one way or another. 

I have a very outgoing friend that includes everyone and helps take me out of my comfort zone. I walk with her once a week when she is not traveling which is completely in my comfort zone, and I appreciate that she accepts this part of me. She also threw a tea party and let me cohost a bit. It was fun to set up and take down, and I actually enjoyed interacting with a larger group of people. She has also invited me on girls’ trips with her friends that I don’t know well. It’s a bit nerve racking for me, but the way she includes everyone makes it more comfortable. I want to be the kind of person that makes people comfortable when they are nervous. 

My former mother in law is someone I wish I was around more often. She and my former father in law are some of the best people I have ever known. She smothered me when I needed it the most. They see the good in everyone. They have been known to invite people to dinners that need support in one way or another. I want to be the kind of person that sees the good in people and is willing to help when needed. 

I have had many people through the years that have provided service to me in one way or another. There was the lady who did my laundry after I had Eric and was struggling to get around. Another took Noel at least once  a week fir the afternoon when I worked the graveyard shift and was told I couldn’t put her in daycare. Then there was a couple that dropped everything when I was in the hospital. I hope I am stepping up like these people at least a bit. 

Of course, I can’t forget my best friends (other than my husband and daughter). One has been my friend longer than anyone outside my family. She supported me through my divorce, encourages me when I need it, and makes time for me when she comes to town. The other stepped up as my mental health declined during the pandemic accepting that what I needed most was human contact. We had lunches in heated tents at restaurants for a few months and continued through the phases of them reopening once a month and continue to make this a priority. I want to be known as the type of friend that prioritizes others’ needs. 

I know I am not perfect, but I also know I am a better person than I was before these people were in my life. I will continue to learn from other people traits that I want to embrace. 

No comments: