Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Running Update



It has been almost three weeks since I started running again. It has been humbling to start over from the beginning, but I am determined to do it right. 

The app I am using is great! I used it four and a half years ago when I first started running. I like it because encourages me as I go by telling me I am doing a great job. (I know it is corny, but I like it.) It also has realistic intervals for starting. Other programs that I have tried expect you to be able to run five to twenty minutes before reaching a walking interval. This one starts with one minute. Not only is this more realistic for people who are out of shape, it also helps build confidence. 

So far, I am able to keep up with the training. I run three days a week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday or Sunday (depending on my schedule). I finished week two last night with six intervals of one and a half minutes of running followed by two minutes of walking. I went out a bit further than I had planned, so I ended up finished up with one minute running and one minute walking intervals until I got home. It felt so good to know that if I had wanted, I could have kept going. Tomorrow, I will be running a few one and half minutes runs followed by one and half minute walks as well as a few two and a half minute runs and two and a half minute walks. The running intervals will keep getting longer as I go, eventually ending with running for sixty minutes straight. I have never been fast enough to run a 10K in that time, but I will be a more competent runner at at that point. 

My goal is to be able to run a 10K by the end of November. This plan will get me mostly there. At that point, I will run a virtual race. I signed up for a virtual Wonder Woman race, but it is a 5K. I will do it on my own, and I am very excited about it. The company I get my fitness challenges from, Yes.fit (ask me for a referral code), usually does a 10K Turkey Trot each year, so I will probably do that one with Chad Thanksgiving morning. I think I will be done with my plan by then. I know that means I will be doing two virtual races at the end of November. I will be ready!

No comments: