Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas 2023



I love when I get to celebrate Christmas with my family on Christmas. I have been trading Christmas and Christmas Eve with the ex for most of the kids’ lives. This year was my year! I was so excited that Santa did his job without helpers this year like when the kids were little. The stockings were filled and presents set out on a table in front of the tree (to keep the dogs away from them). 

After Santa was done, I made a breakfast casserole for those who didn’t want the Pop Tarts he left us before waking Sean and Noel a little after 6am. Sean was still awake but resting, and Noel was not happy to be woken up so early (we agreed on a time the night before). Thankfully, her mood changed quickly as soon as she opened her first present and got better from there with each gift. 

Chad was given something for each of his hobbies I could think of as well as an emergency preparedness kit to keep in his car. I gave him a bike tool kit that straps to his bike, a hydration kit for marathon training, and a cookie cookbook (this one may have been a bit selfish since I love when he bakes). 

Sean was given practical and fun gifts. We gave him some jeans, the next book in the series he had been reading, a “Merry Sithmas” mug, and train set. He promptly set up the train and let it go around the track for a while before putting it away and going to bed. 

I think I did the best with Noel’s presents. She was given some gel nail things that I don’t understand but she loves, an easel for when she paints, a flannel jacket with pockets, and a hair styling kit with a crimper and three curling wands. 

Chad buys my Christmas present, for the most part, and he did a great job this year again. He got me a new sweater, a knitting book that I have wanted for a year or two, a planner for next year, bone conduction headphones, and Ticket to Ride (a board game). 

Eric and his girlfriend, Peyton, came over around 5pm when they were done hanging out with her family. They opened presents as what needed to be cooked for dinner was cooking or warming up. 

Eric is not easy to shop for since he buys himself a lot of the affordable things he wants. When asked, he said he wanted forks, cat toys, and car stuff. I did my best but forgot to get him car stuff. We gave him a cat laser toy, a set of silverware, a dinosaur taco holder, and an Eco Dot with a clock on it. I think the best thing he was given was a painting of his cat playing a guitar that Noel made for him. 

Peyton was easier to shop for this year than the past two years. I think it was because we have gotten to know her better. She also wanted car stuff and cat toys. We got her a car vacuum (which she was excited about), a cat toy, a Sherpa lined hoodie, and a dinosaur taco holder. Chad also gave her some kind of light for her car interior. I’m not sure what present she was excited to receive the most, but she seemed quite pleased with how well we have gotten to know her. 

After all of the presents were opened, we had a dinner of appetizers and charcuterie. Noel made a beautiful charcuterie that we all enjoyed, and Chad made cheese balls and cooked Anytizers. I baked an apple pie for dessert and helped Noel a bit. 


Dinner was followed up with my new board game. I love that Eric likes to play games with me and everyone else is willing to appease me when Eric wants to do it, too. 

After all of the sleep that I lost worrying about today, I think it was one of the best Christmases we have had in a long time. I am thankful for my family. I am glad that my kids love each other and like being around each other. I hope to have more special days with my family as we navigate having children in this phase of life. 

No comments: