Monday, December 11, 2023

My Books


On the shelves above my desk, I have mostly decorative items, but I also have four books. Two of them are reminders of my past life that I was able to bring into how I currently live. 

One of these books is a Nicholas Sparks book I bought to take camping this last summer. I like Nicholas Sparks books. In my 20s I devoured them. For quite a few years my ex would buy me the latest for Christmas because he was my favorite author. At the same time, I would checkout his other books at the library when I got the chance. I don’t read Nicholas Sparks as much now because I have been reading more nonfiction and doing a lot of school work, but I have plans to read this one as much as I can when my classes for this semester are done (only 2 days until finals are due).

The other important book on this shelf is my scriptures. I no longer carry the physical book to church because I use the Gospel Library app when out and about, but I do read from the physical book at home. For many years, I either used the set my dad bought me when I was a teenager after my other set was damaged or used my mom’s. The problem was that I didn’t want to mark up my mom’s too much because I loved seeing her handwriting and what was important to her. Also, the set I used in high school have been showing their age for quite sometime. At some point after the ex left, I adopted his scriptures that he asked  for Christmas when we were first married. He used to take them to all church meetings back then, but he didn’t really mark them. I have been reading from them and marking them as I see fit for quite sometime. I love reading them and seeing what I marked as important in the past. I feel like I am not only learned from reading them again, I am also learning from my past self. 

These books could be replaced if I chose to do so. There will be a time that the Nicholas Sparks book is replaced. It may be by another book by him, it may not. I can almost guarantee that it will be a pretty book like this one. I don’t see myself wanting to replace the scriptures. To me, they are an external reminder of one of the most important things in my life, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I don’t intend on this changing. 

No comments: