Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Random Thoughts of the Week

I have had a lot of random thoughts going through my head lately. They have invaded so much that I’ve been struggling to sleep the last few nights. Some are political or religious in nature, and others come from who knows where. 

First: New York is trying to force Chic-fil-a to be open on Sundays? That is wrong in so many levels. I understand they have donated to anti-LBGTQ organizations. That is not a good thing. This is not how to retaliate. Maybe they could kick the restaurant out of their state? They wouldn’t do that because they enjoy the tax revenue they get from all of the people buying the delicious food. Maybe they could boycott the restaurant because they don’t agree with their values? That’s what a normal person would do. (In my opinion.) Instead of doing these things, they want them to go against their beliefs and open the one day a week that would breach RELIGIOUS practices. Is that even constitutional? I would think not. Religious freedom and free commerce are protected under the constitution of the United States. Also, the argument that people will be starving while they travel on Christmas Eve is lame. Are there no other restaurants travelers can go to that day? As they wage this war against this business, are they doing the same to other businesses that choose to close their doors one day a week? 

Ok. That is probably the most heavy one. It just makes me mad that so many government officials don’t know or care about the liberties granted us by our founding fathers. 

Second: I love Christmas more each year. We may not be able to make this one as nice as the last couple of years due to inflation, but I am determined to make it as perfect as I can. I know I have gotten everyone things they didn’t ask for, but I hope they like them. Seriously, what are Eric and Peyton going to think about the taco holders? Was that a dumb idea? Hopefully, they at least get a chuckle out of them. Also, I want more Christmas sweaters. 

Third: I have great friends. I really don’t mind that I don’t have a lot of them. I feel like I have carefully curated the ones I have. I don’t feel ill towards most of the people in my life that I don’t regularly spend time with. I just choose to be friends with people that I feel a genuine connection. I get invited to parties with other people and enjoy being around them, but I don’t think I could create a deep bond with that many people. 

Fourth: I am so thankful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have been though a faith crisis and come back. I love my Savior and want to honor His sacrifice for me. I know the teaching of the Church are true. I am thankful my parents, especially my dad, raised me in this church. I have a testimony of eternal families. I know I will see my mom and brother again. 

Fifth: I am never going to finish these socks. What was I thinking? Maybe I can just give Eric one sock with the promise of the other one for his birthday…no. That probably a dumb idea. 

And these are just the thoughts that roll around continually. That doesn’t even count the little things here and there. How does one sleep when all of this is happening all of the time? Maybe I need psychological help…

No comments: