Friday, January 30, 2009

Living with Hypothyroid

In my quest to feel better and healthier, I emailed my doctor yesterday to request a new prescription for my thyroid medicine and ask questions about my lack of periods in the last 7 months and inability to lose weight. For some reason I didn't think that me not taking my meds would affect my body that much. I was totally wrong.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my early 20's, and I was told that was the reason I was having problems getting pregnant (we tried to get pregnant for two and a half years before I got pregnant with Eric). In my naive ways, I just took that as not a serious thing and went on my way.

I have taken myself on and off my meds several times since then. This is the first time that I have really noticed a difference in how I feel because of it. I often feel depressed, light headed, and unable to concentrate on simple tasks. It can be incredible irritating for me.

After receiving an answer from my doctor today, I was relieved that I can actually fix my problems. He has agreed to give me a new prescription and have me come back in for lab work in 6 weeks to make sure that I am on the right dosage. He also let me know that my state of no periods without pregnancy is from not having enough of the thyroid hormone in my body. I was glad to know that getting back on my meds should help me to lose weight as well.

My next step was to look up "hypothyroid" on the Kaiser website so that I can actually feel informed about this medical problem that I have been dealing with for nearly 10 years and will continue to deal with for the rest of my life. I was surprised to learn that, by not taking my meds, I am actually putting myself at risk for heart attack and stroke. Yikes! Maybe if I had been told that sooner, I would have been more willing to stay on my meds. At the end of the article I read this:

"Hypothyroidism can cause many different symptoms, such as:
Feeling tired, weak, or depressed.
Dry skin and brittle nails.
Not being able to stand the cold.
Constipation.
Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
Heavy or irregular menstrual periods"

Other than the brittle nails, this fits me exactly, especially the last 6 or 7 months. I am going to do my best to stay on that yucky medicine now. I am going to stop believing that I can "cure" my problems with exercise (that doesn't mean I will stop exercising though).

5 comments:

Jami said...

Wow! Good for you! I can't wait to hear what a difference it makes. Why do you call it yucky medicine, by the way? Does it have side effects? Or just the fact that you have to take it... and PAY for it? lol

Druciana said...

I hate having to depend on medicine, and knowing that I will most likely have to be on it for the rest of my life makes me want to take it even less. Paying the money for it every month and having to drive to the nearest Kaiser pharmacy doesn't help. Hopefully, I can get regulated again and order the medicine through the mail.

JennyJenJen said...

I have it too - I stayed off my meds for 5 months and I had a 52 THS score - my doctor YELLED at me because of what can happen if I don't take the meds - Ill stay on them forever now - One scare will do it. Glad you are getting back on.

Mistaken said...

I'm glad to hear you're going to get back on your meds. Those symptoms sound just like me as well. Do they just test your blood for that?

Druciana said...

Yep. It is just a simple blood test. Just one small thing of blood.
I am surprised that no doctor has told me the risks of getting off of the meds before. All I had been told was there was a chance of birth defects if I didn't take them. Probably because I was always pregnant when I was questioning why I should take them before.